October 21, 2022
Casa Grande, AZ (October 21, 2022) - From the smell of the popcorn to the sing-song sounds of the arcade games, when people walk through the door of the new Throwback Family Fun center, Kelsey Redwine hopes they feel immersed in fun.
After four years of planning, Throwback Family Fun opens its doors at 4 p.m. on Oct. 27 and Redwine, the president and general manager, said she’s happy and excited to unveil the new attraction to the community.
“As soon as people heard we were opening this month, the phone began to ring,” she said. “The staff has been hired and trained and we’re ready to open.”
Located at 958 E. Rodeo Road, Throwback Family Fun will feature
- 12 lanes of axe throwing for those age 14 and older
- 42 arcade games including Down the Clown, Shoot to Win, Transformers, claw machines and others
- A special kids’ zone for younger visitors
- A cafe serving up popcorn, pizza, hot dogs, chili dogs, chicken strips, cheese curds, nachos, beer and other “hang out foods” Redwine said
- A ticket redemption center with prizes that range from tiny rubber ducks to slow cookers and even a Mandalorian Chia pet.
- A section for playing board games as well as oversized social games such as tic-tac-toe, Janga and Connect Four, with playing pieces averaging about two-feet-by-three-feet in size.
- Other elements, such as laser tag, will be added soon.
Redwine believes families will enjoy visiting the center, hanging out and having fun.
In training the teen staffers, she said she sees the vision for Throwback Family Fun becoming a reality.
“The staff have been training all week and when they take their breaks, we thought, like teens, they spend their break time on their phones, but they’re not. When they take a break, they’re out there playing the games and really seem to like the oversized games. Seeing them playing and socializing instead of being on their phones, that’s what Throwback Family Fun is all about. We want people to connect,” Redwine said.
As well as a place for families to hang out and have fun, Throwback Family Fun will also offer birthday parties beginning in December.
While doors officially open on Oct. 27, Throwback Family Fun will host a multi-day grand opening event Nov. 10 and 11.
On Nov. 11, the band Feel Good Factor will perform at 6 p.m.
Other grand opening activities spread out over the various days of the grand opening include a visit from Spider Man, balloon animals and activities for children.
A ribbon cutting is set for Nov. 10.
About four years ago, Redwine and her husband, Peter, began planning Throwback Family Fun to provide a local entertainment option in Casa Grande. They envisioned the facility as a place where families could gather, play games, eat and have fun in a relaxed setting.
The idea was backed by supporters and a small group of individual investors and the couple hoped to open their new entertainment venue in mid-2020. Then the COVID-19 pandemic hit and everything stalled.
Earlier this year, the Redwines secured the lease on a three-suite, 16,000-square-foot space in the shopping center at Trekell and Rodeo roads. After construction was complete, the Redwines began transforming the space into a fun activity place for families.
“We’re excited to be opening,” Redwine said. “I think people will have a great time when they visit.”